Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween - How to make a Lara Croft | Tomb Raider Gun holster!



So I decided to be tomb raider for Halloween  I used to own one of her PC games when I was young and I just simply love her outfit! Plus, I believe Halloween costumes are better made than bought! :) (most of the time that is haha). In this case all you need is some black shorts or beige ones. Top it up with a teal top or brown or black, really depends on what color of shorts you'll be wearing! Top it off with some leather gloves and combat boots and you are set.



I say, if you're wearing Black shorts, go for teal shirt or even better army green shirt. However if you're going for Brown or beige shorts, stay away from brown shirts and go for a shirt or a teal one!

Now let's get down to business! It was super difficult for me to find gun holsters for this outfit. After all, what is Tomb Raider without her two guns and holsters! 



I tried going to a military supply store and yes they did have holsters HOWEVER, they were pretty big on my leg and they were $30 per leg holster and that was the cheapest one they had. Knowing that i will be only using these holsters once which is this halloween and the fact i would l need to holsters i thought it would be better to do it myself!

This is what you'll need to make two holsters(most basic ones atleast):


1- Card board
2- Pleather
3- Glue/ hot glue gun/ stitching glue - anything that'll hold the stuff together. I used stitching glue and it worked perfectly!!
4- Swivel Clasps (4 of them to be precise)
5-Nylon straps
6- Scissors


(You'll be able to find most of these in Walmart if not try a Craft store)
How-to:

1- I used the toy gun to see how far will it go into the holster and then marked it! That way I can cut out the excess cardboard.


2- Fold the Card board around the toy gun and mark the "edges" of the holster on the inside. I basically wanted to have a "rectangular"holster soit'll be easier for you to mark both card boards so you can end up having two holsters with the same shape. YES , it does make a difference haha.






3- Cover the card board with some Pleather! Measure how much excess you'll have and cut it off


4- Glue everything! Use Que tips to clean any mess. At somepoint i used bobbi pins to hold the pleather in its place till it's dried up! :)
Depending on what glue you're using, you might have to wait a while before moving to the next step. Make sure everything is in place!




5- Create holes in your holster to put the straps through them!


6- You can glue the swivel clasp and the straps orstitch them together. I was honestly too tired and in a hurry so i stapled them together haha


You're done!

The Holster should look something like this




P.s , one things I didn't do which you might want to consider doing is creating a fifth hole at the top (where the toy gun will go in) and put a velcro strap there. This way you can hook the gun holster to your belt, it will fit better and most probably look better! So this literately is the most basic holster you can make. On a side note, instead of buying 2 Gun holsters for $30 each i made these two for less than $20 and I think they look amazing :)

3 comments:

  1. inside the pant holster
    Welcome to DeSantisHolster.com, your online source for the finest Concealment Holsters, Inside the Waistband Holsters and Gun Holsters for every major weapon manufacturer and model. We carry a huge selection of Glock Holsters, Smith and Wesson Holsters, Taurus Holsters, H&K Holsters, Glock 26 Holster, Glock 27 Holsters, Springfield XD Holsters, Kimber Holsters, Ruger Holster, Bianchi Holsters, Seecamp Holster and Duty Holsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for putting this tutorial up! I am getting a head start on my outfit now so I don't have to deal with pre-halloween madness!

    ReplyDelete